What Certificates Do You Need as a Landlord?

Being a landlord comes with a range of responsibilities, and ensuring the safety and well-being of your tenants should be a top priority.

Being a landlord comes with a range of responsibilities, and ensuring the safety and well-being of your tenants should be a top priority. In the United Kingdom, there are several certificates that landlords are legally required to obtain and maintain to meet certain standards and comply with regulations. These certificates cover various aspects of property safety, energy efficiency, and tenant protection. In this blog post, we will discuss the essential certificates that landlords need to obtain and the importance of complying with these requirements.

Gas Safety Certificate:

If your rental property has gas appliances, a Gas Safety Certificate, also known as a CP12 certificate, is a legal requirement. This certificate must be renewed annually and can only be issued by a Gas Safe registered engineer. The Gas Safety Certificate ensures that all gas appliances, such as boilers, cookers, and heaters, are safe and functioning correctly. It includes a thorough inspection of the appliances, flues, and ventilation systems, as well as necessary repairs or maintenance.

Energy Performance Certificate (EPC):

An Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) is a legal requirement for rental properties in the UK. It assesses the energy efficiency of the property and rates it on a scale from A to G, with A being the most energy-efficient. The certificate also provides recommendations for improving energy efficiency. An EPC is valid for ten years and must be obtained before renting out a property. It helps tenants assess the energy efficiency of a property and make informed decisions about their energy consumption and costs.

Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR):

To ensure the safety of electrical installations in a rental property, landlords must obtain an Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR), previously known as a Periodic Inspection Report (PIR). This report must be conducted by a qualified and registered electrician. The EICR examines the electrical systems, wiring, and appliances, checking for potential hazards, faults, or non-compliance with regulations. It is recommended to renew the EICR every five years or sooner if required by the electrician's recommendations.

Portable Appliance Testing (PAT):

While not a legal requirement, Portable Appliance Testing (PAT) is strongly recommended for landlords. PAT involves the inspection and testing of portable electrical appliances, such as toasters, kettles, and lamps, to ensure they are safe for use. Although there is no specific legal requirement for PAT testing, landlords have a duty of care to their tenants, and regular testing can help identify potential electrical hazards and prevent accidents.

Fire Safety Certificates:

Fire safety is a crucial aspect of rental properties, and landlords must comply with fire safety regulations. Several fire safety certificates may be required, depending on the property type and size:

a) Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarms: Since October 2015, landlords in England have been required to install smoke alarms on each floor of their rental properties and carbon monoxide alarms in rooms with solid fuel appliances. The alarms must be in working order at the start of each tenancy.

b) Fire Risk Assessment: For Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMOs), which are properties with multiple unrelated tenants, a fire risk assessment is mandatory. This assessment evaluates the fire safety measures in place, such as fire doors, escape routes, and fire alarms, to ensure compliance with safety regulations.

c) Fire Safety Equipment: Depending on the property type, additional fire safety equipment may be required, such as fire extinguishers, fire blankets, or emergency lighting. These should be regularly checked, maintained, and replaced as necessary.

Legionella Risk Assessment:

Legionella is a bacterium that can cause Legionnaires' disease, a severe form of pneumonia. Landlords have a responsibility to assess and manage the risk of Legionella in their rental properties. While not a legal requirement, it is recommended to conduct a Legionella risk assessment to identify potential sources of the bacteria and implement necessary measures to control the risk. This assessment involves evaluating the water systems, such as showers, hot water tanks, and taps, and ensuring they are regularly cleaned and maintained.

Tenancy Deposit Protection:

In the UK, landlords are legally required to protect their tenants' deposits in a government-approved deposit protection scheme. This ensures that tenants' deposits are safeguarded and can be returned fairly at the end of the tenancy. Landlords must provide tenants with the prescribed information about the deposit protection within a specific time frame after receiving the deposit.

Importance of Compliance:

Obtaining the necessary certificates and complying with regulations as a landlord is not only a legal requirement but also crucial for the safety and well-being of your tenants. Failing to comply with these requirements can result in penalties, financial liabilities, and difficulties in evicting tenants. Additionally, not adhering to safety standards may pose risks to tenants' health and safety, leading to accidents or health issues.


As a landlord in the UK, it is essential to understand and comply with the various certificates required for rental properties. Gas Safety Certificates, Energy Performance Certificates, Electrical Installation Condition Reports, and Fire Safety Certificates are crucial documents that ensure the safety and compliance of your property. Additionally, conducting Legionella risk assessments, PAT testing, and protecting tenants' deposits are vital aspects of responsible landlordship. By obtaining the necessary certificates and complying with regulations, you can provide a safe and secure living environment for your tenants while avoiding legal and financial risks.

Buy a Landlord Emergency Cover to get emergency assistance related to plumbing, central heating, electrical failure for your rental property.

Disclaimer:  It is always recommended to consult with professionals, such as qualified electricians or engineers, to ensure compliance with regulations and obtain accurate and up-to-date information regarding the required certificates for rental properties.